posted by k8t to Education (22 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
I'm < > this close to being done with my dissertation but I need to write my acknowledgments section.
I'm not a very emotional person but I feel like I might go overboard with this opportunity.
General advice on this would be welcome, but also... I need a list of appropriate and inappropriate people. Specifically...
- I need to know if I need to list all the undergrad research assistants by name or just the good ones or just "undergrad research assistants" generally?
- I collected some of the data during a Fulbright. How do I acknowledge them/it?
- What about all my cohortmates and pals that were good emotional support?
- How do I thank my partner and toddler for putting up with a lot of bullshit?
- I don't want to thank my parents. Will it look back if I thank a bunch of friends but not my parents? What if my parents ever read it and are offended.
- My advisor is amazing and has been a great editor. My committee members have been not AS involved. How can I thank them all without making it sound like ADVISOR RULES!!! #1#1#1?
- What about acknowledging faculty members that weren't on my committee but wrote letters for me or co-authored pieces with me?
- I'd love to thank MetaFilter but I don't want my affiliation with the site to be published.
Or would it be better to keep this section short and sweet and be general and not name names?
The acknowledgements or dedication page is optional. If you decide to include Acknowledgements in you paper, than you should place the word acknowledgements should at the top center of the page in capital letters. If it is included, the acknowledgements page will immediately follow the abstract. Here we have prepared general template for Acknowledgement page for Master thesis. This template is suitable for any subject, area of research, so you are welcomed to use it. Good luck.
I would first like to thank my thesis advisor [title] [Name Surname] of the [School / Faculty name] at [University name]. The door to Prof. [Last name] office was always open whenever I ran into a trouble spot or had a question about my research or writing. He/She consistently allowed this paper to be my own work, but steered me in the right the direction whenever he thought I needed it.
I would also like to thank the experts who were involved in the validation survey for this research project: [List professional Titles, Name and Surnames of the experts who participated/contributed]. Without their passionate participation and input, the validation survey could not have been successfully conducted.
I would also like to acknowledge [title] [Name Surname] of the [School / Faculty name] at [University name] as the second reader of this thesis, and I am gratefully indebted to his/her for his/her very valuable comments on this thesis.
Finally, I must express my very profound gratitude to my parents and to my [partner, spouse, girl/boyfriend] for providing me with unfailing support and continuous encouragement throughout my years of study and through the process of researching and writing this thesis. This accomplishment would not have been possible without them. Thank you.