- Show Spoilers
- Night Vision
- Sticky Header
- Wide Load
Please add entries in the following format:
- The meme. [[labelnote:Explanation]]The explanation behind the meme, if necessary.[[/labelnote]] Explanation Like this.
- Further mutations and successor memes, if any.
Fate series (except Fate/Grand Order)
- Most, but not all, of the following memes are listed on the Type-Moon page on Know Your Meme, and several have individual pages to themselves.
- "People dieif they are killed." Explanation From a fansub's◊"Blind Idiot" Translation taken out of context.
- Up until that point in the Fate route, Shirou had survived at least half a dozen near death experiences (including being disemboweled, stabbed through the heart, and cut clean through from shoulder to hip) through a magical Healing Factor. However, Shirou then gives up that power so Saber can use it to stand a chance against Gilgamesh. Thus, Shirou is just restating he's fine giving the power up, as he's already more than grateful for surviving more near death experiences than a person would normally ever expect to. People still make fun of Shirou and the "Blind Idiot" Translation though.
- Shiki Tohno: "Don't be ridiculous! Dead people can't be alive!"
- Nanakonote from the Tsukihime quasi-sequel Kagetsu Tohya: "Eh—Th-th-that's ridiculous! First of all, that person doesn't even die when killed!"
- Rin Tohsaka: "She wouldn't die even if you kill her."
- Playable Caster: "All right! Now that this is all settled, we WILL survive until the end, even if it kills me!"
- Kamina: "A real man never dies, even when he's killed!"
- Renji Abarai: "Even if we kill you, you probably wouldn't die."
- L: "The thing you have to do, is die before getting killed."(Ironically this phase actually makes much more sense given the premises of Death Note)
- Asuna Kagurazaka: "I've been always worried about when he would get injured, of if he would get killed... But now he won't die even if "he" is killed."
- Nice: "I'll kill you if you die again!"
- Tadakuni's sister: "Shut up! If you don't die right now, I'll kill you! If you don't wanna get killed, then die!"
- Hibiki Tachibana: "Then I'll come back alive, even if it kills me!"
- Maki Harukawa: "He's stupid enough to get himself killed, but I know he won't really die
- Case in Point.
- "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right." Explanation More oddly-translated wisdom from Shirou, this time from the official sub of the Unlimited Blade Works anime. In context, he meant something along the lines of "just because you've got your facts correct doesn't mean your conclusions are right".
- "The Archer class really is made up of Archers!" Explanation Another "lost in translation" moment, courtesy of Rin this time. It's a peculiarity of the Japanese language that using pronouns can be very casual and/or rude whereas using a person's name even when directly speaking to them is common. She calls Archer by his "name," but what she's saying is, "You really are an Archer!"
- This evolved into a sarcastic meme in Fate/Grand Order regarding the Archer class which has only few actual archers. The sarcasm gets further upon the inclusion of Kara no Kyoukai's Asagami Fujino as an Archer-class Servant, yet she doesn't have anything in her to be an Archer (as she doesn't have a bow or any ranged weapons but has her telekinetic ability as her main method of attack instead), and some believes she fits more as Caster or Avenger instead.
- "When you have a birthday, you celebrate being born."Explanation Even Shirou's counterpart in the Prisma Illya universe is not immune to making these statements, though he's explaining this to Miyu, who never celebrated her birthday.
- GAY BULGE! Explanation The first anime's dub mispronounced "Gae Bolg", the name of Lancer's Noble Phantasm. Naturally, the Internet had a field day with this.
- "Alright, Shirou! Please put your... that! Y... Your pOnOs! To my... my... Here! .....My vagOOO!!! And J.. J... JAM IT IN!" Explanation A series of Fate/stay night parody comics makes it a Running Gag that Shirou frequently suffers Entendre Failure when faced with sexual innuendo, and one doujinshi in particular portrays him as ignorant of even basic understanding of the mechanics of sex, requiring this line from Saber. The O's in the words "penis" and "vagina" are supposed to be circles representing blank-space censorship.
- "...you lost me." Explanation A fancomic by Hiroyuki, created as a parody/response to the above, has Shirou say this line in response to Rin and Saber trying to teach him how to perform the act.1. Put pOnOs (A) to vagOOO (B).
2. JAM IT IN!
- "...you lost me." Explanation A fancomic by Hiroyuki, created as a parody/response to the above, has Shirou say this line in response to Rin and Saber trying to teach him how to perform the act.
- Recharge your mana.Explanation Mana is recharged through sex in Fate/stay night.
- LOL dragons. / LOL dolphins. / LOL sperm fish.Explanation Remember that Fate/stay night origins comes from an eroge of the same name and the anime adaptions of its storylines happen to have Bleached Underpants. This is how, during two obvious sex scenes... before anything risque shows up, you are treated to a show of a CGI dragon (in the Fate route anime), CGI dolphins (in the Unlimited Blade Works movie), or CGI fish that resemble sperm (Unlimited Blade Works anime) instead of the scene.
- Mana Transfer Dragon, the one used for Saber's scene in the anime, now has its own tag on Danbooru and similar sites.
- I am gar for Archer. Explanation Someone misspelled "I am gay for Archer." and the misspelling stuck.
- Mapo tofu. Explanation A scene in Heaven's Feel when Kirei is caught eating the mapo tofu dish as if it was his ultimate life goal and somehow still manages to put Shirou on full guard. Even better with voice acting as Joji Nakata goes all the way with panting and "chomp chomp" sounds. This scene is then taken Up to 11 in the first Heaven's Feel Movie. It's also referenced in Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA Drei!!! as he runs an ultra expensive Mapo tofu shop.
- Kirei's rip off store.Explanation Anytime Kirei is selling anything, he will charge ridicious prices for it, infamously the Mapo Tofu he sees in Prisma Illyaand the school uniform you need to get the true ending in Fate/EXTRA CCC.
- Unlimited ______ Works. Just fill in the blank with a noun and you can bring up wonders: Unlimited Häagen-Dazs Works, Unlimited Musket Works, Unlimited Every Military Weapon Works, and of course, Unlimited Blade Works. Bonus points if you created a special chant to go along with it.
- The anime is Unlimited Budget Works.
- Fill-in-the-blank Archer version:Expand
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to Death, nor known to Life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.
- Fill-in-the-blank Shirou version:Expand
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain.
Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.
I have no regrets. This is my only path.
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works.
- Unlimited Essay Works.◊Explanation An anon claimed that he turned in a page for his final paper of a writing class he was flunking using an altered UBW chant.
- Did you mean "Bane"?
- Fall/Semester Mike.
- "I ask of you: Are you my Master?" Explanation This is mainly the first line EVERY servant states when they are summoned in ALL Fate series. Most notable during Saber's summoning in Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero.
- "This is a war which mucks around with women and children!" Explanation In the Fifth Fuyuki Holy Grail War, there are six children Masters and three female Servants; it is severely invoked by Gilgamesh.
- Erotical Black Hole. Explanation Popular nickname for Sakura in Heaven's Feel due to her seemingly endless sexual appetite combined with the Great Grail's resemblance to a black hole.
- Being Lancer is suffering. Explanation The Lancer class has "E-Rank"Luck Stat, and this presents itself story-wise as them being horribly shafted. Borrows from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Surprisingly enough, more than half of the Servants that appear in the Nasuverse have the same rank in Luck, with only a few exceptions like Arturia Pendragon or Alexander the Great.
- By the end of Fate/Zero, it's become "Being everyone in Fate/zero is suffering." Because there's not a good end for ANYONE.Except Gilgamesh. (Unsurprisingly, both Fate/zero and Puella Magi Madoka Magica have the same writer, Gen Urobuchi).
- Being Lancer is wonderful. Explanation As of Fate/Apocrypha's release, this has taken a complete 180, since both of its Lancers, Vlad the Impaler and Karna, are respectively the strongest member of Black Team and one of the single most overpowered characters in the entire franchise, theorized to be able to take on GILGAMESH. Lancer of Black ends up like every other lancer, though.
- DR. GILGAMESH. Explanation Gilgamesh's infamous "heart surgery" scene in UBW triggered a lot of "heart"-related jokes.
- KING OF HEROES, DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH SWORDS?Explanation A paraphrased/liberally translated version of Shirou's line in the Unlimited Blade Works route when facing off against Gilgamesh.
- Mongrels! Those swords are fucking patented! Explanation A flanderization of Gilgamesh's interaction with Shirou and Archer. Brought up in the Character Development Cliff Notes style of the Unlimited Blade Works route.
- Ha! Know your place, mongrel!Explanation Gilgamesh has a habit of referring to everyone else as "zasshu", which is usually translated as "mongrel" in English.
- Rejoice, Emiya Shirou◊/Yorokobe, shounen! Explanation Kirei Kotomine's line towards Shirou at the start of Fate/stay night has turned into a memetic Catch-Phrase for the priest.
- Kirei's jogging in Fate/Zero's eighth episode has reached a memetic status among the fandom.
- WAGA ARU G.Explanation Lancer consistently refers to Kayneth with "waga aruji", or "milord".
- Team NTR. Explanation A Fan Nickname for team Kayneth, referring to how Sola-ui falls in love with Lancer. Said Lancer being Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, who's entire legend is also NTR, shouldn't have come as a surprise.
- KFCa.k.a.Kayneth's Fried Circuits. Explanation Kayneth was hit by a bullet of Kiritsugu's Mystic Code, shorting his Magic Circuits and - if he uses too much magic - raising the possibility of blowing out his body with overloaded prana. Too bad he had been doing exactly that.
- MOU IKKAI!Explanation A cute little endlessly repeating animation featuring the song Sakuranbo, with the lyrics "mou ikkai"/"one more time".
- Yuetsu!! Explanation The Japanese word for "pleasure", alternatively translated as "joy" or "entertainment"; one of the plotlines involves Gilgamesh making Kirei realize what exactly the source of these things is for him. It's probably a result of the frequent use and the Ho Yay that comes with it that made it into a memetic word among the fandom.
- Ancient Hindu Spaceships! Explanation Mutated form of the Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series Ancient Egyptian Laser Beams meme when referring to Gilgamesh's flying ship in Fate/Zero. Yes, it's at least grounded in true myth in the Ramayana.
- Happy Mother/Father/Children's Day, Kiritsugu!Explanation Fate/Zero had episodes that aired on Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Japan's Children's Day. In said episodes, Kiritsugu is forced to kill his adoptive mother, (Grail-created versions of) his family, and his childhood friend, respectively.
- UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKSExplanation With Ufotable adapting the full-length UBW anime and piggybacking off of the immense financial success of Fate/Zero, the animation in UBW was set to be very, very well funded.
- HEAVEN'S FUND or alternately, HEAVEN'S BUDGETExplanation With Ufotable also adapting the Heaven's Feel movie trilogy and taking into account the studio's reputation for high quality animation plus the budget they've earned from the UBW anime itself, people have been dead set on calling the adaptation of the third route this. Now that the first movie's out, fans everywhere all agree that Ufotable outdid themselves with the animation this time, with them even going so far as to say that it managed to surpass UBW's animation in quality.
- Historical AccuracyExplanation Due to the very system of the Grail calling upon copies of the heroes of all times to fight, many have some characteristics distinct to their mythical or historical depiction. Though plausible with some characters of the original VN, other entries in the franchise took it to its logical conclusion.
- (Insert violent sequence here): (IT'S) MORE FUN◊IN THE PHILIPPINES!◊Explanation It's a reference to both one of the Philippines' old tourism slogans, and the revelation that Alimango Island, where Kiritsugu's Start of Darkness took place, is an actual location from that country. Needless to say, a number of Filipinos couldn't resist.
- HIGH BARExplanation Rin and Sakura first fall in love with Shirou by watching him try to vault over a bar from the wrong side, not giving up despite trying and failing for hours. It's thus become common to have girls fall madly in love with him in crossovers or any other form of fiction just by jumping over a bar. It has been done before, though.
- DON'T THINK!IMAGINE!◊Explanation Illya sums up how magical girl powers work. Often used by fans as a Hand Wave concerning any breaks in logic.
- IMASINE!◊Explanation The original airing of the episode misspelled "Imagine". The DVD release fixed this, but not before the Internet ran off with it.
- Tohsaka's anus.Explanation A...particularly memorable line from the H-scene in the Unlimited Blade Works route, seen here, along with a selection of other narmtastic Nasu quotes (NSFW). This line is one of the several usually trotted out to support "Nasu can't write sex" as seen above.
- TOHSAKA PLEASES OLD MEN FOR MONEY! Explanation Originating from a Doujinshi where Rin does just that, this phrase is posted in almost every Fate thread on /a/.
- 2017: The Year of Fate. Explanation With the announcement of the first Heaven's Feel movie, Part II of the Fate/Grand Order mobile game as well as it's US release, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star, anime adaptations of Grand Order, Fate/EXTRA and Fate/Apocrypha, and an anime movie for Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA all being released at different points in 2017, fans have proclaimed that 2017 is a great time to be a Fate fan.
- Mama Shirou. Explanation This line inevitably gets used in some form in any fanwork where Mordred ends up meeting her "father" Artoria and Shirou when the latter two are together. It really ups in hilarity when one remembers that Shirou pretty much is the "wife" in the relationship with his skills at cooking and housework.
- MamaMIYA. Explanation An extension of "Mama Shirou" to Shirou's future counterpart, Archer EMIYA. Frequently seen mothering all the Servants in Grand Order fanworks, including ones he normally hates.
- Queen Shirou. Explanation Taking the idea of Artoria and Shirou being together to its logical conclusion, since Artoria is the King of Britain, the other Knights of the Round Table often refer to Shirou as the new "queen".
- "Hey, that's Hell you are walking into." Explanation A phrase uttered by both Shirou and Archer while the former remembers that his wish to save others was his from the start in Episode 20 of Unlimited Blade Works. Normally used whenever someone discusses heroics or ideals (or Fate/Grand Order and its gatcha and grindiness).
- Sasaki Kojiro, Savior of FranceExplanation The fact that Sasaki is one of the two best cards for the French part of the game (said map is infested with Rider-class dragons, which Assassin-class Servants do extra damage against) has led to its reputation in the Fate/Grand Order fandom as the Savior of France.
This electronic-game article needs cleanup. There is currently no template describing a standard format for electronic-game articles, but please review Wikiquote:Templates to determine how to edit this article to conform to a higher standard of article quality. You should also check this article's talk page to see if the person who added this message left an explanation there. This page has been listed as needing cleanup since 2008-10-29.
Fate/stay night (フェイト/ステイナイト, Feito/sutei naito) is a Japanese visual novel developed by Type-Moon, which was originally released as an adult game for the PC. An all-ages version of Fate/stay night, titled Fate/stay night Réalta Nua, was released for the PlayStation 2 on April 19, 2007, and features the seiyu from the anime series. On October 28, 2005, Type-Moon released a sequel to Fate/stay night, entitled Fate/hollow ataraxia, its plot is set half a year after the events of Fate/stay night.
Fate/stay night has made transitions into other media. A manga series based on the visual novel was first serialized in the Japanese magazine Shōnen Ace and published by Kadokawa. The manga is illustrated by Japanese artist Nishiwaki Datto and is currently ongoing. In 2007 the manga was licensed for an English-language release in North America by Tokyopop. A twenty-four episode anime series created by Studio Deen aired in Japan between January 6, 2006, and June 16, 2006. The anime series were initially licensed and released in North America by Geneon Entertainment, however On July 3, 2008 Geneon Entertainment and Funimation Entertainment announced an agreement to distribute select titles in North America including Fate/stay night. On November 22, 2006, Type-Moon announced a series of light novels entitled Fate/Zero, set as is a prequel to Fate/stay night. There have been four video games based on the series to date. Three fighting games have been released, Fate/unlimited codes for arcades and PlayStation2, Fate/tiger colosseum and its sequel Fate/tiger colosseum Upper for PSP. A PSP RPG entitled Fate/Extra was released on July 22, 2010. A Fate/stay night film was also created by Studio Deen and was released in Japanese theaters on January 23, 2010.